Kodi is a media player that can be installed on practically any device. It’s also really easy to use a VPN, because the installation takes place on the device itself, so all of your traffic is routed through it.
While we can’t provide guidance for every device, we’re going to run through the most popular options for Kodi. (If you need help with getting Kodi installed first, check the Kodi website, and bookmark this page for later.)
Method 1: Using a VPN with Kodi on Your Favorite Device
Once Kodi is installed, you’ll need to set up your VPN on your device, and Kodi’s traffic will be routed through it. For all of these examples, we’re using ExpressVPN to demonstrate.
We recommend using your provider’s VPN app if possible, because you’ll benefit from the killswitch; this will cut your device’s internet connection if the VPN connection drops while you’re using Kodi full-screen.
Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick
We’ve published a guide that shows you how to install Kodi on a Fire TV or Fire Stick. It’s a quick and easy process.
You’ll then need to install the VPN on your Fire TV or Fire Stick. Here’s the basic process:
- On your Fire TV or Fire Stick, head to Settings, and then Developer Options
- Find the option to Enable Apps from Unknown Sources, and ensure it’s turned on
- Go back to the Home screen, and open the App Store
- Search for the Downloader app and install it
- Open Downloader and search for the VPN provider’s app
- Select the Android app
- When the app is downloaded, select Install.
As long as your VPN app is connected, your Kodi traffic will be protected on your Fire Stick or Fire TV.
You can’t use a VPN directly on an Xbox One, but you can connect through another device. The most common options are a router, a PC, or a Mac.
Our guide for installing a VPN on a PlayStation explains the easiest, quickest methods.
To install Kodi on your Xbox One:
- Sign in to Xbox Live, if you’re not already signed in
- Open the Xbox Store and search for Kodi
- Download the app to your Xbox One.
The Xbox One Kodi app has its quirks compared to more mature versions. But it’s bound to improve. With your VPN running, your traffic will be protected while you’re using it.
Android TV Box
It’s really easy to install your VPN and your Kodi app on your Android TV box.
Installing Kodi is also simple. Just use the app store on your device to locate the app. Alternatively, head to https://kodi.tv/download and download the installer from there.
Avoid using .apks from unofficial sites, since they may present a security or privacy risk.
The NVIDIA Shield is based on the Android operating system, so you can install the Android version of your provider’s app. You can download and install it from Google Play, or alternatively, grab the .apk and download that directly onto your device.
To install a non-Play Store VPN .apk:
- Head to Settings, then Security and Restrictions, then Unknown Sources, and turn the setting On
- Open the Google Play Store and search for ES File Explorer
- Install ES File Explorer on your device
- Open ES File Explorer and select Bookmarks, then MySearch
- Type the name of your VPN provider (for example, ExpressVPN)
- Download the file to your device
- Select Open Folder
- Find the .apk you downloaded and select Install, then follow the installation process
- Open the VPN app and log in to your account.
To install Kodi on your device, just grab it from the Google Play store. Once your VPN is running, all of your Kodi traffic will be private.
To get your VPN up and running on a Windows device, follow our guide to installing a VPN on Windows. There are a few different options, but using your provider’s app will usually be the fastest and easiest way.
To install Kodi, head to http://kodi.tv/download and choose the Windows app.
Make sure your Windows device is connected to the VPN before you open Kodi.
iPhone or iPad (iOS)
To install Kodi, the process is slightly less straightforward, but it’s still easy enough. You will need to download either TweakBox or Cydia Impactor, rather than using the App Store.
Here’s an example of how to install Kodi on an iPhone or iPad with Tweakbox:
- In your Safari browser, navigate to http://www.tweakboxapp.com
- Download the app onto your device
- When you see the message about the configuration profile, tap Allow
- When Settings opens, tap Install and enter your passcode
- Tap Install again, then Done
- Go to your device home screen and open the TweakBox app
- Close the pop-up ad, then select Apps, then TweakBox Apps, then scroll down to Kodi
- Tap Install, then Install again.
- Open your iOS Settings app, then navigate to General, then Profile and Devices Management
- Under Enterprise App, tap the profile name, then tap Trust.
Once the process is complete, you may have to wait for a few minutes for Kodi to install. Head back to the home screen to check its progress.
And remember: connect to the VPN before you open Kodi.
We have a guide for using VPNs on Chromebooks that will get you set up with your VPN provider.
To install Kodi, just grab the app from the Google Play Store and install it as usual.
The Mi Box is an Android device, so you can obtain the VPN and Kodi apps from the Google Play Store if your device offers it.
If you don’t have the Play Store, or if your device is not supported, you will need to grab the .apk files and install them manually. The easiest way is as follows:
- On your Mi Box, go to Settings, then Security and Restrictions, and select the option to allow apps from unknown developers
- On a computer, download the VPN and Kodi .apk files to a USB stick
- Plug the USB drive into your Mi Box
- Navigate to the USB stick and install each app.
Remember to start the VPN and log in before you start using Kodi.
Raspberry Pi 3 LibreELEC
To run a VPN on the Raspberry Pi 3, you’ll ideally need a Linux installer. We like ExpressVPN’s Raspbian 32-bit installer, which you can download onto your Pi 3 and install as follows:
- Sign up for ExpressVPN, ensuring you’ve confirmed your account via email
- Save the ExpressVPN installer file to your Pi 3
- Open Terminal
- Navigate to the folder where the installer file is located, e.g. cd ~/Downloads/
- Extract the installer by typing sudo dpkg -i expressvpn_1.2.0_armhf.deb (replacing the filename with yours if it’s different)
- Open a new Terminal window
- Type expressvpn activate and press enter
- Grab your activation code from the ExpressVPN account profile and paste it in; press Enter again
- Choose whether you’d like to accept anonymous stats
- Optional, to prevent ExpressVPN collecting diagnostic information, type expressvpn preferences set send_diagnostics false
LibreELEC allows you to run Kodi on a Raspberry Pi 3. Navigate to the Direct Downloads section of the LibreELEC download page and follow the instructions.
We’ve produced a guide for installing a VPN on your router. Once it’s up and running, any device that you connect to your router will be protected by our VPN, so you can run Kodi on any device without further configuration.
Android Phone and Tablet
Our Android phone guide shows you how to install a VPN on Android.
To install Kodi, download it from the Google Play Store.
We’ve produced a guide on getting your PlayStation set up with a VPN.
Kodi isn’t available for PS4 at the time of writing this guide. However, Plex is a good alternative. You can install it directly from the PlayStation Store.
Our Mac VPN install guide contains all the information you need to quickly get your Mac connected to your chosen VPN.
Kodi is really easy to install too. Visit http://kodi.tv/download/ to grab the official installer.
Method 2: VPN Add-Ons for Kodi
You can run VPN add-ons within Kodi, although this process is recommended for advanced users. The main benefit is that you can change your VPN settings within Kodi, but the downside is that not all providers support these apps.
The most common Kodi VPN add-ons are:
- Zomboided VPN Manager offers the widest support for a range of VPN providers. It works with Kodi on Windows, Linux, and the Raspberry Pi 3.
- OpenVPN for Kodi, which doesn’t require any additional downloads, and is easy to set up. You can use it with Kodi on Mac, Windows, or the Raspberry Pi 3.
Installation instructions are provided on each add-on’s install page. If you’re new to Kodi, and OpenVPN for Kodi supports your device and provider, we recommend that you try that first.
Need more Help?
We’ve produced a range of guides to get you up and running quickly with your chosen VPN. If you need more information, we’ve probably covered it in these guides.
If you’re having trouble getting your VPN to connect, refer back to your provider for assistance.
When using Kodi, speed and privacy are equally important, so you need a VPN that’s fast enough to stream media reliably. If your Kodi streams are buffering or stuttering, it’s a sign that another provider may provide a more reliable connection.