It is also possible to install a VPN as an addon within Kodi on PC, Mac or Linux.
This allows you to change your VPN settings without exiting Kodi but comes with two notable drawbacks: not all VPN providers support this setup and it can be a tricky process.
The benefits of this setup are limited – mainly it allows you to run your VPN without exiting Kodi – so we only recommend it for advanced users who know exactly what they want.
Our guide below assumes you have already installed Kodi on your Linux, Mac or PC.
Whenever possible we recommend using Zomboided VPN Manager – which works on Windows or Linux and is supported by the greatest number of VPN providers including Private Internet Access, IPVanish, VyprVPN, ExpressVPN and NordVPN.
Because this is a popular method of installing a VPN add-on for Kodi, there are also countless tutorials and forum posts to help you if you get lost along the way.
See below for step-by-step instructions to installing a VPN within Kodi using Zomboided:
- Open Kodi, then navigate to the Settings menu – represented by a gear symbol
- Select System
- Click on the Add-ons tab, then turn on the Unknown sources toggle
- You will be presented with a warning message; read over it and then press Yes
- Download the latest release of Zomboided to your computer
- In Kodi, navigate to Settings, then Add-ons
- Click on Install from zip file
- Find and select the Zomboided ZIP file you just downloaded – probably in your “Downloads” folder
- Linux machines running on LibreELEC or OpenELEC 7 or newer can skip to step 13, but for Windows devices and many other Linux devices you will need to install OpenVPN
- Exit Kodi
- Download the appropriate OpenVPN installer for your system from https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/
- Run the installer, making sure you choose the following Destination Folder when prompted
- Right click on Kodi and select Run as administrator
- Click the magnifying glass Search icon, then Select add-ons
- Type in “VPN Manager for OpenVPN” and press Enter
- Click on VPN Manager for OpenVPN and then select Install
- An Installation Wizard should start automatically
- The wizard will ask you to Select your VPN provider, followed by your login details if these apply
- Complete the on-screen instructions for your VPN and you will now have a working VPN ad-on
If you don’t want to use Zomboided, or if you have a Mac, the main alternative is OpenVPN for Kodi – which works on Mac or Linux. OpenVPN for Kodi requires you to manually download an OpenVPN config file for each provider or server location, so its utility is slightly limited compared to Zomboided.