Method 1: Install the VPN App
By far the most common way to set up a VPN on Mac is by installing a VPN service’s Mac app. This is simple to do.
But you should remember that not all VPNs have apps for every device. If you need a VPN for Mac, ensure that the VPN you’re interested in provides that service. You can do this by visiting the provider’s website. This shouldn’t be a problem as the best VPN services almost always cater to macOS.
Once you have a VPN subscription, download the VPN app onto your Mac.
We’re going to use Surfshark as an example of how to do this, but the stages are almost identical with every VPN.
- Go to the VPN provider’s website.
- On the homepage you’ll see in the top right hand corner a button that reads Get Started. Click this.
- If you haven’t already from this page you can purchase your VPN subscription. If you’ve already purchased it, you’ll see that there’s an option in the top right to Log In. Click this.
- With the login details you used to purchase the VPN, enter them to access the client area. Please note: sometimes a VPN will send you a unique login that you don’t get to pick yourself.
- In the client area you are presented with a bunch of information. Find and select Devices in the menu.
- You’ll be redirected to a page that lists all of the devices and platforms compatible with Surfshark software. Surfshark has no limit on how many devices you can install its software onto, so you could protect every device you own under one subscription. We’re doing it for Mac, so select the macOS option to Download.DMG.
- The file will instantly download when clicked and placed in the Downloads folder as a .dmg file. Click and run this file – it is the Surfshark Installer.
- Drag the Surfshark application icon to your Applications folder so it’s easy to find and select. Open a new Finder window and navigate to the Applications folder on your Mac and you’ll now see Surfshark there.
- Double-click the Surfshark app to run it. The service will open and ask for permission, which it needs in order to operate. Note: some VPNs may require you to insert your Mac login details once again, or login details provided by the service via email or in the login area of its website.
- With your permission, the app lights up and it’s good to go!
- Now Surfshark VPN is installed on your device, easily switched on and off and found in your Applications folder or via Launchpad. At this point, feel free to eject the Surfshark Installer as it is no longer required.
As you can see, this is by far the simplest way to install a VPN on your iMac or MacBook, and probably why it’s the most popular way to do so.