The 2019 Global Mobile VPN Report is the first study of its kind and includes app download data for 73 countries, dating back to 2016.
It shows global demand for mobile VPN apps from Apple’s App Store and Google Play is growing rapidly: the number of downloads worldwide has increased by over 50% two years in a row.
As mobile internet users around the world endure the various effects of digital authoritarianism and become more aware of the value of their browsing data, it’s clear that VPN apps are an increasingly mainstream anti-censorship and privacy tool.
This report provides mobile VPN app download data at the global, regional, country and app-level, with a focus on the last 12 months, starting October 2018, compared to the previous period.
We also looked at:
- The biggest growth markets for mobile VPN
- Correlations between internet shutdowns and month-to-month surges in downloads
- Free/paid VPN app distribution
- The most popular mobile VPN services
- Fastest growing mobile VPN apps
- Top mobile VPN apps by platform and country