Simon Migliano is best known for his extensive VPN investigations as well as in-depth research into internet censorship and privacy issues. Some of his most notable studies include:
- Websites Blocked in Russia: tracks and analyzes the thousands of websites officially blocked in Russia since the invasion of Ukraine that relate to the conflict. The result is the only public dataset of its kind in the world.
- The Global Cost of Internet Shutdowns: monitors the economic cost of every major internet shutdown around the world since 2019. This research is regularly cited by academics and major government organizations.
- The Dangers of Free VPN is a collection of 11 research reports into various aspects of the ownership and security of free VPN mobile apps. I have also explored app store policies around VPN privacy.
- Global Mobile VPN Report 2019: a world-first study of mobile VPN download growth across 70+ countries with year-over-year data back to 2016.
- Collateral Damage in the War Against Online Harms: co-authored with Open Rights Group, this investigation into overblocking of websites by UK ISPs revealed over 400 charity, school and social supports sites had been blocked in error.