Samuel has focused on a variety of digital rights issues and has a particular interest in how increased surveillance risks undermining human rights. His most recent research includes:
- The Global Cost of Internet Shutdowns: annual report and a live tracker documenting the economic and social costs of internet shutdowns around the world.
- COVID-19 Digital Rights Tracker: a live index that records states’ technological response to the pandemic.
- UK Video Surveillance Investigation: Samuel sent over 50 Freedom of Information requests to unearth the true role of Chinese tech within the UK’s surveillance infrastructure.
- UK Digital Forensics Report: analysis of public records revealed UK authorities spent over £20 million on digital forensics tools since January 2019.
- Home Office to Host Controversial Surveillance Companies: Samuel discovered that Hikvision and other controversial companies were due to attend a Home Office-sponsored trade show.