JP’s passion for computing started early on a Commodore 64, graduating to an Amiga 500, before installing an AtOnce 286 Hardware Emulator which gave him a view into the world of PCs.
Still as curious today, JP’s expert contribution to Top10VPN.com is made possible by a diverse skill set developed through 25 years of hands on software engineering and networking experience:
- Extensive knowledge of VPN protocols including configuring and supporting IPSEC and OpenVPN tunnels
- Securely connecting worldwide locations to offices in Shanghai through the Great Firewall of China
- Ensuring the security of corporate networks through setup and monitoring of Firewalls & Intrusion Detection Systems, anti-virus/anti-malware scanning of systems, and performing vulnerability testing on applications and APIs
- Sysops / devops using a mixture of local physical servers, dedicated data center servers, and cloud services
- Traditional desktop IT support, including designing and rolling out multi-site, multi-country corporate networks
- Building and supporting multi-site Voice-Over-IP call centres operations across multiple countries
JP has also worked heavily with a mixture of desktop and server OS; Windows Server since 2003, Windows Desktops since 3.0, and multiple flavours of Linux.
His career highlights include being founding CTO at CoinDesk, one of the leading cryptocurrency news sites. JP built CoinDesk’s Bitcoin Price Index, which is referenced by Wall Street Journal, BBC, New York Times, CNBC, Reuters, and Bloomberg.
JP was also technical co-founder of Student.com, one of the world’s leading online marketplaces for student accommodation. He was responsible for rolling out and scaling up technical infrastructures in offices across Asia, Europe, and the USA. He also built out the VOIP technology powering the company’s worldwide call centre operation.
He additionally oversaw the development of the Student.com website, ensuring strong site security and performance were in place.