Method 1: Sideloading Kodi on an Amazon Fire TV Stick or Fire TV with VPN
Adding Kodi to a Fire TV device is a very popular use case, because this lets you to create a powerful all-in-one media player.
While the Kodi application isn’t available directly from the Amazon App Store, it’s still easy to install.
Installing Downloader and Kodi on Your Fire TV Stick
Follow the instructions below to install Kodi on your Fire TV Stick:
- Turn on your Fire TV Stick or Fire TV Cube
- Search the Amazon App Store for the Downloader app and install it
- On your Fire TV device, navigate to Settings > My Fire TV > Developer Options
- Turn on ADB debugging and select Enable apps from unknown sources
- Allow app permissions for the Downloader app
- Open the Downloader app and allow it to access photos, media, and files on your device
- In the URL field insert https://kodi.tv/download/android and go to the website
- Select and download the ARMV7A (32BIT) apk version of the latest Kodi application
- Once the Kodi application has finished downloading, click Install
Once you’ve done this it’s time to download your VPN onto your Fire TV Stick or Fire TV.
Installing a VPN on Your Fire TV Stick
There are several ways to do this, but the simplest is to: navigate to the Amazon App Store, find your chosen VPN app, download it and install it as normal.
Other methods include sideloading the VPN by installing its .apk file via the Downloader app, or installing the VPN on a router.
For step by step advice on each method, we recommend reading our Firestick VPN setup guide.
Your Fire TV Stick is now set up for use with Kodi software and a secure VPN. Make sure the VPN is active before you launch and use Kodi.