Method 1: Use VPN Software
Setup Difficulty: Very Easy
Windows Compatibility: XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, and 11
For most users, signing up to a free or premium VPN service is the easiest way to install and run a VPN on your Windows device.
Your VPN subscription will allow you to download and use Windows-specific VPN software, giving you access to the service’s range of VPN servers.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to install a VPN on your Windows computer, using CyberGhost VPN as an example:
- Go to the CyberGhost website.
- Navigate to VPN Apps > Windows VPN.
- Ensuring you are logged in, select Download App.
- A .exe file will download – run it.
- When prompted, select Yes to allow Cyberghost to make changes to the hard-drive on this computer.
- Read the Terms & Conditions, then press Accept if you’re comfortable with them.
- Select Install.
- Enter your Username and Password, then click Log in.
- Your VPN is fully set up and ready to use, easy as that.
Note: Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP. See which VPN services still support Windows XP.